You want to build something that earns and affords you the life you aim for.
But there's a heavy tension you've probably experienced between a). doing something you care about, b). doing something you're good at, and c). doing something others find valuable.
The dream is to find the balance between those three points.
You may quit something others find really valuable… because you're bored by it (or worse: you hate it).
Or you may have to quit something you absolutely love… because nobody else thinks it's valuable.
Or you may never get the idea off the ground because, though it's both valuable and something you care about, you're simply not good at it (yet).
Corbett, Caleb and I have felt this tension. At some points intensely (my first failed business comes to mind).
And that's why this conversation ends up being so good. We explore this tension and share some personal stories of discovery.
SUBSCRIBE IN iTUNES: Visit The Fizzle Show’s iTunes page and click “Subscribe.”
(If that link takes you to another webpage, click the blue “View in iTunes” button.).
- The Masters of Podcasting™ we mention are Marc Maron, Chris Hardwick and Dan Benjamin. If you made an image of all three in super hero costumes… it'd be amazing.
- 33 Things I’ve Never Told You (or, How to Re-Introduce Yourself and Kick Your Watered-Down Self in the Ass) — Think Traffic
- Unless I Hear Differently — Work Good & Fast With Clients & Teams
- “The present letter is a very long one, simply because I had no leisure to make it shorter.” ~ Blaise Pascal
- PC 015: Gary Vaynerchuk on Hustling, Work Life Balance & How It Is Never Too Late to Start [Podcast] | Pocket Changed
- Peter Dinklage – Wikipedia. Also of note is this amazing picture of Dinklage with George R.R. Martin.
- Our thanks to Fizzlers Nick and Barrett A. Brooks for the questions they submitted.